Monday, August 15, 2011

Dating

It is very difficult to really get to know people online. Sometimes, when we type something with our own emotion on one end, it's interpreted in a different way by the other person at the other end because the other person might not have shared the same emotion we do. In dealing with people in the real world, to me, is similar. One can't just judge a book by its cover. People come from different walks of life, different cultures, different life experiences. One might be interesting in certain aspects and completely boring in others.

Lately, I've been reading blogs in which bloggers constantly complained about not being able to find dates. They complained about how shallow those people on the dating websites are. They complained about how people their age only look for younger dates with athletic builts. But, then, when I read on, they themselves lied about their age, put down the overweight. They condemned the gay dating world for only wanting to hook-up. Yet, they did the same...and bragged about it.

Some set high standards yet complained about being dateless. Some associated those who don't write complete sentences as bad dating candidates for they might just be some nail salon workers.

In my own little pool of life experiences, I can definitely say that a lot of time I would have been fooled if I judged people before I got to know them. Just because one is a doctor doesn't mean he's noble. Just because one is a janitor doesn't mean he lacks integrity or intelligence.

During the first ten years of our lives in the U.S., my family was very poor. I had to work full time while attending college full time. We had only two cars for a family of ten. I spent most of my time taking my siblings to school and work and working at different jobs myself. One of my jobs was being a janitor, from 6pm-11pm, almost every night for several years. My parents and some of my siblings also did that.

We needed money. And, it was an honest job. We did what we had to do. I am so proud that I was able to make some money to help my family. Of all of us, including my father, we now have two PhD's, two MD's, one DMD, three PharmD's, three MS's, and a whole bunch of BS's.

My point is: Get to know people before you disregard them. Life is up and down. So are people. There are a lot of nice people out there if you open your arms and heart to them.


1 comment:

  1. Bravo, Dr. T! Noble sentiments & so very beautifully expressed! Thanks for having shared!

    ReplyDelete