Thursday, February 23, 2012

Overloaded

Today is my day off, and I'm working at the clinic. Actually, my sisters are doing the same thing. I interviewed three Physician Assistants within the last two weeks, and I don't think any of them would join us.

The first one was an East Indian newly graduated girl. She seemed OK, but she was asking for so many things when she didn't have any leverage to do that.

The second one was the first one's classmate, I found out later. She was Hispanic. This suits my clinic very well. She is from Cuba. She was too confident. I've been a doctor for 16 years, and the only thing I'm confident about is the fact that I don't know much. I have seen enough to feel good that I know I don't know much. Here she is, a fresh-out-of-the-boat physician assistant, being cocky.

The third one came yesterday. He was a 65 y.o. Caucasian. He used to be a pharmacist and switched to become a PA since 20 years ago. His resume showed he last worked 2 years ago. Something didn't quite fit, so I checked his record. It turned out that his pharmacy license was suspended for 5 years due to drug addiction.

I am a person who believes in second chance because I myself have been given second chances. I was very hesitant, but I was still open-minded. I thought to myself that if he were nice and worked hard, then I would be willing to hire him since he hasn't had any issue working as a PA.

So, I interviewed him. He didn't come across as a friendly person. He told me he had a stroke when I asked him why he has not been working since two years ago. But, later, he told me he's been working part-time for a neurologist whose name he didn't list on his resume. Then, I asked him why he switched from being a pharmacist to being a physician assistant. I was looking for him to be honest. Unfortunately, he said in an indifferent manner: "It's boring." I have three siblings who are pharmacists, and they have to work so hard they have no time to be bored. I then asked him if he had any more question for me. He said: "When do I start?"

Off I go, looking for more PAs.

Now, I have to go back to my paperwork.

On a better note, I will get to see Jim tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment