Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sigh...

I am so upset today. I should be happy but, instead, upset.

One of my staff is a Burmese that I hired about a year ago. Though he has not been living in this country for a long time, probably two years, his English is very good, considerably. His duties are mainly interpreting and filing. He's the slowest learner of all my staff. But, I have been giving him raises just like anyone else. I raised him a total of $2.25 within a year. This is a lot for clerical work, especially for someone who repeatedly makes mistakes. He has been misfiling a lot as well as making a lot of other mistakes. It's been a year, and he's stilling making the same mistakes. Every time I or other people showed him his mistakes and tried to help him fix it, he would say: "OK, Ok...I'm sorry." But it seems like he never listened. Everyone had been wondering why I still kept him.

Well, I have a lot of patience. He's in a new country, and his wife doesn't have a job. I've been hoping that he would pay more attention to what he's doing. I really don't want to fire him. Today, he made more mistakes which were so obvious. And, when I pointed it out to him, he got upset and accused me of not being appreciative of his work. I work in the medical field. It is an absolute must that things are filed correctly. He stood up angrily. I told him maybe he should find other things to do. He left.

I felt very bad and still feel bad. I know I should be glad that I don't have to deal with his mistakes any more. But I still don't feel good. I know it's the right thing for him to leave. I had given him a year of chances. And, he still didn't get it that noone else would.

Sigh...

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry - I don't wish others ill either and have been in a similar situation in the past. Fortunately, in my current role, I have no direct reports and I find it very liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did everything you could to save him, but in the end, he simply could not do the job you needed done.

    ReplyDelete