Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Canaries

I can't believe my eyes when I look at the two canary chicks that just hatched about two weeks ago. They are almost as big as their mother. They are all feathered up and probably will jump out of their nest at the end of this week.

What surprises me more is the mother canary is mating again! She's trying to build another nest. She keeps on setting strings at the corner above the current nest, but they wouldn't stay. I guess she no longer wants to stay in the same nest. It's probably because there's a lot of poop from the chicks.

So, last night, I placed two more nests in there. But, she didn't seem to like them. Maybe, they are not big enough for her. I read that canaries like open nests, not the enclosed nest with a small opening. The one that she used is an enclosed one, but I guess she had no choice at the moment.

My mission for today is to go buy her an open nest. I hope she'll like it. It's so annoying watching her picking up the strings and putting them at a corner that does not hold them. She repeats the motion over and over again throughout the day without acknowledging the outcome. I'm just afraid that while she's so busy doing that, she'd forget to feed her chicks and feed herself.

I'm going to give her a good nest and hope she'll take it.

1 comment:

  1. Awww.. This is a cute story.

    Get the birds pictures here, please! ^_^

    ReplyDelete